I suggest you ...

verify if a poster has been evicted

If someone is evicted than naturally they are going to try and diminish the property's reputation because they are disgruntled. I am sure that many people read the comments but have you ever thought of the people who actually write the comments? This website reminds me of ratemyprofessor.com because only people who had the absolute best or absolute worst experience are going to comment, and usually it is the ladder. If you ask an individual whose fault it is that they are or have been evicted, the majority of them will say that it is the landlords fault. Perhaps you could try to verify a commenter’s credentials by running their name through the public court access websites that exist in many states in order to see if they have been evicted or filed on for eviction. I understand that an idea of this magnitude would require far more diligence on your behalf but the accuracy of your content would improve dramatically. I am sure this will not happen but if there is a slight chance that somebody in your organization happens to read this than some good may come of it.

189 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rate my professor was great then it got ruined by teacher union lawsuit threats but that website was necessary for teachers who spell "latter" LADDER, just like apt complexes need to be held responsible for being crappy

• Kathleen ClohessyKathleen Clohessy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to reiterate what a lot of other people said..Sometimes people get evicted for withholding rent even though no one in their right mind would continue to pay the slumlord they were renting from. There are two sides to everything.
        Besides, I discovered today that MY landlord is paying people $25.00 a pop for positive reviews...I was wondering where they all suddenly came from. So there's dishonesty on both sides. Eventually it's up to the reader to sort it out. My advice, though, after being badly burned, is that where there's smoke, there is always fire. If the reviews are bad, there is always a good reason for it..Always.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Evictions DO NOT necessarily make a tenant in the wrong.In one case which the management company and the manager felt extremely threaten by a resident who knew his rights and the law.So heres what management did.Got another resident to make a fake complaint then put a notice on his door.This guy questioned the manager and the fake complainer,management then served a second notice of the Termination of his lease.No eviction here just the deceptive practices which management use everyday as a tool in their favor.They management know the poor tenant can,t afford an Attorny cause a Landlord tenant Attorny will not take cases on a contention base.Therefore The resident must front$2.000 up front for legal representation.So once again The poor tenant gets the short end.

• JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No. 1 : Freedom of speech, (also the first amendment; G.E.D, Mr. Clark Gregg?)!
        To continue, I honestly cannot believe these are statements coming directly from those that I, myself, would actually trust to lease from. I am shocked and underwhelmed. The constant misspellings and atrocious misuse of punctuation, ( do any one of you know what a semi-colon is?! Use it!), are utterly horrifying; not to mention your lack of ethics and humans morals.
        Yes, perhaps these are posts written by people scorned. But logging on as a false 'happy tenant/s,' and posting your own 4-5 star comment does not make the scales of justice swing in your favor. There is a pot and there is a kettle; you should all know by now that they are both the same color! And that Carma can be a b*tch.

• FrangipanFrangipan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of people who have been evicted have excellent reason for posting a critique, and in case their claims happen to be valid, I'd like to hear them. Besides, repeated claims can tell a lot. If more than one evictee faults the same feature or conduct, I'd like to know about it. We all know how to take something with a grain of salt.

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just because someone is evicted doesn't mean they were in the wrong. When I was wrongfully evicted, I tried to fight it but it was "them against me". I didn't have money for a lawyer, and just wanted to get out of there! Just remember that rental agencies and landlords aren't always "perfect" or truthful.

• grrrgrrr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmmm...you posted your idea as anonymous, does that mean we should question it?

I've known people who are evicted for the wrong and illegal reasons. Their feedback is important. Also, if your place is really great than eventually the good reviews will out weigh the sour grapes.

• Shadowridge Park SucksShadowridge Park Sucks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look at the comments on here. Just what I suspected. Most are from leasing agents at the properties. This site is becoming worthless. The reviews are mostly from property managers pretending to be tenants. If I ran this site, I would have a "Certified" option, where the residents can answer an online survey. Otherwise, this is just becoming a site for managers to pat themselves on the back and tell each other how great they are.

• Tennis39Tennis39 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure it would be great if you could identify a writer who was evicted. Probably many of the very bad reviews are written by them, as they would be eager to get even with mgmt., they would take the time to find the website and spout off.

• arose4yuarose4yu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this site is that you don't get a fair picture of an apartment because disgruntled tenants only post negative reviews. There are a few who will rate positive/negative but those are few and far between. it would be more helpful if you have a system in place that requires the poster to give a more well-rounded review.

• NeverAgain62NeverAgain62 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simple fact of the matter is that if your apartment complex is so pristine then one bad review by a disgruntled tenant isn't going to affect you very much.

The evidence for this is everywhere. There are apartments that have and deserve a high rating (the one i live in for example) but they will still get bad reviews. The effect? minimal.

I notice that the OP didn't mention the complex being hit by a bad rep. Probably because they have a average (50%) or lower rating to begin with.

• BrayzenBrayzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get a law book, you fools. That is a violation of the constitutional rights.. OOPS, look who I'm commenting to. Apartment staff.. anyone get a GED yet? You all have no clue about the law, just how to break it and get away with it by manipulating fine print on lease's that should be burned and rewritten under new legislation.. Things WILL change, not overnight, but they will. People have a right to comfort, safety, and to not be violated constantly in their own homes.. Yes, a rented apartment is still that person's personal living space. And the Law needs to recognize that and redefine it.

• Citrus HeightyCitrus Heighty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree! And no I'm not a tenant that's been evicted. I just don't want my private information ran just to post a comment on a website that prides itself in anonymity. Hense the "anonymous " post from the originator. People have to take into considerations that comments are open to the public and therefore going to have a certain percentage of bad or false comments. I worked in the rental industry for 7 years when I was going to college and I learned that you just take the bad with the good and do your job the best you can. If you do your job right, who flipping cares about the comments. So many people get sooo upset over it. It's obvious there's going to be false comments, it's when there numerous comments similar in nature over a prolonged period of time, there's a problem. If there's just a couple here and there slandering the manager, it's probably an angry tenant or former tenant trying to stir the crap pot, ignore it than. Smart people know when stupid people post a false comment. I think it would a violation of someone's privacy to verify eviction. Also what if someone was evicted in the past due to financial reasons of loosing a job? Or what about the high cost involved to Apartment Ratings to run just checks. How will that affect their operations? I think people need to think fully before making such suggestions. While it may make sense for one person, doesn't mean it makes sense for the greater population. You have to be open minded and objective to truly utilize this site.

• Clark GreggClark Gregg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. It's amazing how easily a reputation can be damaged because you have a crappy resident who got evicted and wants to slander you because of something they did (or didn't do - like pay rent) and got evicted.

• zpregionalzpregional commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not agree more. Businesses like our are bound by laws, fair housing and landlord/tenant amoung others, that require we deal with our tenants in equal and fair ways. We must follow the rules and policies equally for everyone. Over and over, this site gives a voice to those who break their leases, house illegal pets that do damage, don't pay rent and do drugs, on and on. When we enforce our policies within the laws and throw them out, then we get these outrageous hits on your site that are patently untrue. My lease is getting ridiculously long because I have to go over and over the policies of the property and have them initial everything. It doesn't stop anyone from spouting off about how "unfair" it is because they broke the rules and we wouldn't let them off the hook about it. There should at least be a mechanism where the property can provide the proper info for you to remove the posting.

• griffinassociatesrealtorsgriffinassociatesrealtors commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent points! Our company recently experienced the same situation, a tenant moved out, did hundreds of dollars of damage to the unit and the security deposit disbursement reflectted this. In addition to the lease & addendum the tenant signed, the tenant was sent a move out punch list to review, and given a chance to hire vendors to repair the damage done by the tenant., After receiving good reviews of the property
        ( where the majority of our tenants come from referrals) our rating dropped significantly. The bad review isn't a big deal, this is going to happen, but there should be a way to verify the information submitted.

• me.yahoo.com/a/23KzMsB3t_qN_yNPXAcMs8y_x8awnmhE1Q--me.yahoo.com/a/23KzMsB3t_qN_yNPXAcMs8y_x8awnmhE1Q-- commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree musiclily. I actually work at one of the apartment buildings on this site and there is a distinct possibility that a tenant who got fined for trashing up the place and has left could come on here and say all manner of evil. He might have already and I am sure many other bad tenants have done exactly that. The only way for this site to really work is for this site to require a lot of accurate information from anyone who posts here so it can verify the validity of what they say. The honor system will not work here because too many people are willing to commit slander when they know they will never have to pay for it.

• musiclilymusiclily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! On a certain apartment building review page ALL of the bad reviews are those from tenants who have been evicted for heavy partying, one was for getting drunk and harrassing tenants and the others were because they didn't pay their rent. So they come here and ruin an apartments reputation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base